Pages

2019/04/01

An unexpected gap year. Part II

I'll start this with Bob Marley's quote: 
'You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have,'.

Fave spot at home in Manila -
to read books, work on my laptop and occasional journal-ling
Exercise became a lifestyle
I knew that I needed to give myself motivation to wake up every morning. So, I promised myself to jog every morning - and that is how I gladly stumbled upon a Zumba class in the neighbourhood. Almost every morning, I was present and it always filled me with good vibes - endorphins and dancing to happy tunes :)) I was one of the youngest zumba participants (along with my cousin when she was free to join) but it was totally ok hehe. Best thing was that I made friends!!! Titas older than me by 40+ years but they are so sweet. Got really close to this one Tita and she drove me home every time after class and we would drop by church to pray together. 

Scientific studies show that it takes 66 days to build a habit. And thanks to these daily practices, exercise became a daily agenda.
(stolen from Facebook heh).
But... I remember I would go home - help out with chores, have lunch and would feel lost on what to do for the next half of the day. In the early stage, I planned some meetups and would go out. This chill life went on for a little while.

Helped my cousin when she conducted sports lessons for kids
However... I could not be out all day gallivanting. I am not even earning and how can I be out going to meet friends, explore new places, spending money. I kept comparing myself with peers who were progressing with their career/studies - and meanwhile what was I doing with my life? A lot of self doubt, questions and 'why's. 

There was always a voice that resonated in me, 'trust in my plans for you, my child.'

I pushed myself to be productive. Learn Spanish, read books, worked on a side project with some friends. The side project was about commute betterment in Malaysia. 
Translated and memorized some Spanish songs to learn the language,
and this is my favourite one: David Bisbal's Mi Princesa
The startup experience, for social good
In the midst of all this, I started to look for flexible internships - places that were not very strict with the timeline (since I was not sure of how long I could commit). There was this commuting app in the Philippines sakay.ph and I was realllly interested, as it was related to commute betterment = related to the side project I was involved in.

I was sooooo thrilled when they allowed me to join them!!! It is a place where I really got to learn a lot because my coding skills were really really really super basic but my mentor was really patient and helpful. Thank you! :> Oh - also the travel was really hectic everyday - work was in Ortigas and I travel from the south. Crazy EDSA journeys, morning and night. Grateful to P for accompanying me when I headed home.
Oh hello EDSA traffic
Also, no longer fear dogs as much because
Biffy roams around the office
and comes to me while I am doing work haha
Well, I ended this internship mid-December thinking that I was heading home soon. And celebrate Christmas was family. Haha. I was wrong.
So... I got myself into another internship with ASAM.ph, (a GKonomics brand). They are the bridge between marginalised communites and the market. So for example, company uniforms are sewn by the Gawad Kalinga (GK) communities - and are marketed to big firms who need the product. Since it is not easy for GK communities to easily search for clients, ASAM is the middle person!

I am so grateful that I was given a chance to be with them although I could only commit for 2 weeks in the beginning. Got to understand more about social entrepreneurship - the challenges and triumphs that come with it, personally speak to people from the community.

Stock-take day
Visiting the sewing community in Baseco
Smokey Mountain on my last day with ASAM
From these two experiences, I observed that the startup culture differs from the big and established firms. In a startup, I get to meet everyone in the team more easily, and the team is usually smaller and thus tends to be more close-knit. Maybe flexible working hours? And!!! Got to experience working in co-working spaces. I realised that beautiful working places are actually conducive for the mind too :)

These two experiences mean so much to me and I believe it has molded me to be a person with more empathy, grit, gratitude for my privileges, and a yearning to find purpose in my career path. 

Truly, God has better plans, He knows our every need. 

Kitchen Exposure lol
If you know me, you know that I rarely enter the kitchen and... I am clueless about basic steps of cooking. Haha. At home in Manila, I learnt some recipes from my uncle and yay - I made one of the food (zaalouk) yesterday at home. Being at the kitchen helped me improve my knife skills too. Hehe no longer just doing the dishes but I can help with meal prep now!!! 

A weekend afternoon at the outdoor kitchen

Weakest point when I had dengue
Thank you Tita Doc for the blood tests, drips and numerous pocari sweats to keep me alive.

Hello needles
||
As I reflect on all that has happened, this experience has definitely made me a stronger person, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. If I entered the working sphere right after graduation, I would have another outlook on life perhaps - but I am grateful for the bearing I have now.

When all seems impossible and you want to give up, remember that that is the last point you have to reach for all to get better. You reach the lowest point to bounce back. I remember that was how I motivated myself. 'Kishia, you are going through this now, because the battle is almost done. God wants to give you a last sprint, and all will be alright'

I also learnt to cherish the opportunity I have - I used to think it comes easy - aiya, Malaysia is home and I've been here all along - should be no problem. But truly - nothing can be yours forever - so cherish it when it is given to you

||
I owe this little triumph to all the wonderful people around me, who have been a great source of support and love. So thank you very much!!! Love love love you. 

And to the Father above who knows everything ahead of me and takes care of all of us, thank You!!! Continue to be with me as I step into a new chapter of my life :)

No comments: