Pages

2019/03/31

An unexpected gap year. Part I

I grew up with the mindset that if I could go fast or finish fast, I should. 'Don't waste time, they say. Life is a rat race, you do not want to be left behind,'. After high school, I started to study for A-levels right away, and went into degree once I was done with A-levels. Thus, I never had an intention to take a long break upon graduating from university. The maximum would be perhaps a 3-month-break, I told myself. 

Well, God had better plans. (something that I realised after going through this season of life)
Due to visa circumstances and requirements, I returned to the Philippines and had to defer my first day of work. The processing of documents went on for a month, to two months, three months, four months, five months... until I stopped counting... I remember giving myself estimated dates/occasions on when I would be home (e.g. Mama's birthday, christmas, new year)  - but the date would pass and the waiting game continued. 

Problems are opportunities.
The best thing I could do for myself was to make the most out of my time - take this as a gap year, and do things that I will not get to do in the future, things that I would enjoy, and perhaps discover more about myself, what I enjoy and I do not.

I got to travel
Before returning to Manila, Vietnam and Myanmar.
Hoi An lanterns, Vietnam
Mỹ Sơn Sanctuary, Vietnam
Tanaka in Sulamani Temple, Myanmar
Kakku Pagodas, Myanmar
My uncle, who inspires us to be an intrepid traveler

The forgotten pagoda in Mingun, Myanmar

Got super tanned after 14 days of backpacking in Myanmar
(all the picture taking under the sun for good photos haha)
The majestic Shwedagon to culminate our stay in Myanmar
Some parts of Malaysia.
Sekinchan, Selangor
Explored parts of KL like a tourist
Ban Lee Siang Satay Celup, Melaka
Foh San Dim Sum, Ipoh, Perak
In the Philippines, I went around mostly around the metro area since I never explored around before. Visited all the big 4 universities, ADMU, DLSU, UP (UPD and UPLB) and UST. Hehe. Outside the metro, rode a 15-hour-bus-ride to the Cordillera region. Hiked 2 mountains. And went to some neighbouring towns.
Batad Rice Terraces.
This place is super remote - had to hike quite a bit to reach the town but it is definitely worth visiting!
While we were here there was no electricity so the experience was really one really close to nature.

With the children in Batad while they enjoy coffee
Hanging Coffins, Sagada
My adventure buddy was running into the woods, I wonder why hehe
Mount Batolusong, Tanay, Rizal
Mount Gulugod Baboy, Mabini, Batangas
Town of Taal
We are always looking for new things to see and experience. Something I have learnt is that there is always something to discover, even in places that look simple at first glance. Know the story, enjoy the travel journey - despite the occasional long hours. 

Long rides are a good time to reflect and contemplate - especially if you have poor connection (just like me, I have no music) - you just enjoy the bucolic scenes, talk to your companion or drown in your thoughts and fall asleep halfway.

I hope this inspires you to take the road less trodden and go on an adventure :) 
|

I thought I'd be able to write about my 'unexpected gap year' thoughts all in one blog post - but looks like this is just about places I visited - so stay tuned for one more post to wrap this up.

x,
Kish

No comments: